1 iceberg lettuce, cored
lime wedges and finely sliced red chilli, to serve
1 tablespoon peanut oil
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 long red chillies, seeded and finely sliced
2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger
½ bunch coriander (cilantro), stems and roots finely chopped, leaves reserved
800 g lean minced pork
150 g green beans, trimmed and finely sliced
1 carrot, cut into thin matchsticks
100 g mushrooms, sliced
2 ½ tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
2 teaspoons powdered sweetener
2 cups (160 g) bean sprouts
1. Soak the lettuce in a large bowl of cold water for 30 minutes. Gently separate the leaves, drain and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. For the pork filling, heat a large wok or frying pan over high heat and add the peanut oil. When hot, add the garlic, chilli, ginger and coriander stems and roots and stir-fry for 1 minute until fragrant. Add the pork mince and cook, stirring and breaking up the lumps with a wooden spoon, for 2–3 minutes until the mince changes colour. Add the green beans, carrot and mushroom and continue to stir-fry for 3–4 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the pork is cooked. Stir through the fish sauce, lime or lemon juice and sweetener, then season lightly and toss to combine.
3. Remove the wok from the heat and toss through the bean sprouts and coriander leaves, reserving a small amount to use as garnish.
4. To serve, divide the pork filling among the lettuce cups and garnish with the remaining bean sprouts and coriander. Offer lime wedges and sliced chilli to the side.
* For extra crunch, add 4 tablespoons chopped water chestnuts along with the bean sprouts at the end.
1 serve = 2 units protein, 2 units vegetables, 1 unit fats.